Friday, July 9, 2010

My Hand Hurts from Cat Bites

So, the past few days I've been floundering on ideas of where a good place to start could be. I've decided, pretty assuredly so, that the focus of my title is going to be a male. Maybe a small step, but it's important. I toyed with the idea of making it female, but I don't think the voice will allow. Although thinking now, that could make things interesting. Who the hell knows?

Next, I think I want this setting to be back East. There is something that makes sense about the forbidding cold of the East Coast, coupled with the amazing scenery (most of which I find to be seafront) ought to offer me some poignant moments.

SO maybe these "revelations" are not really a shock to you all, the people I'm aware of that are reading this know me somewhat well, but I feel like it will help me to sort of look back and remember what I was going after should I need help refocusing. Maybe not, and this will just hang me. I feel like I'm making this more laborious than it needs to be. Then again, most things that I do creatively are laborious and often ponderous. I'm not a doctor.

I need to also get in touch with some fine literature. I think on the advent of this new work I'm hopefully coming into, I can invest in some classics and important past works in an effort to acclimate myself to works of fiction that are worth a damn and see what style(s) I can identify with. I need your help again, dear readers. What ought I read? I'd prefer fairly established and recognized works. Things considered "Great". I've really not read much so any suggestions would be amazing.

Well, that's all I have for now. I have things to do, and ideas to ponder further. Just sorta floating in the lagoon as it were. Feel free to float with me.

1 comment:

  1. Right off the bat, I'd recommend "Brave New World." I have not even read it, but it is similar in works to 1984, Fahrenheit 451 --a reconstructed society based on advanced technology, etc. However, I hear it reads rather slowly, and I know that doesn't fly with you (nor me). I would recommend looking for a good short story compilation that encompasses the style of stories you are looking for. Rant by Chucky P. is also a good modern vision of a reconstructed society, though I didn't enjoy it, many others did, including Alex and Dru.

    Forgive me if I'm not making any sense, or making off the wall suggestions, I'm not entirely awake.

    The more I think about it, the more I think that A Brave New World is a good choice. Also, there is that other series I told you about --not classics, nor great writing by any means, but a good idea.

    We'll talk.

    Also, I would highly, highly, highly recommend you pick up Stephen King's "On Writing." You can get it in trade paperback for about 8 bucks. It is one of the best books on Fiction writing I've ever read, and I feel that his approach and ideas on style are similar to yours (I mean this as a huge compliment, seriously). Even if you don't like his work, and I do not primarily like his work at all, his advice is sound. If you don't mind hardback, you can have my copy.

    Call me or something. We need to write. My only other advice is to just start writing. Don't wait for all of your research. Start writing now, get a feel for your character, fill in holes later. And don't be surprised if your story takes you somewhere you're not expecting.

    ReplyDelete